Child Care Provider Appreciation Day is celebrated nationally every year on the Friday before Mother's Day. Friday, May 6th, 2022, will be the day to recognize child care providers' efforts and dedication to providing quality care. By recognizing these dedicated professionals, we are reminded of the importance of their work and the positive impact high-quality child care has on children throughout their entire lives.
Each day, many parents rely on child care providers to maintain a safe environment for their children while they are at work. Other parents choose to send their children to a child care provider to receive quality care and education in preparation for school. Research shows that children undergo rapid growth in physical, cognitive and psychosocial development during early childhood. Since many children spend most of their day with a child care provider, it is important for the provider to offer safe, healthy, and nurturing care during the early childhood years.
It takes a special person to work in the child care field, so it is important to show appreciation to these individuals, including those who may not immediately come to mind, such as:
- Teachers, cooks, bus drivers, directors and other staff at child care centers and local schools
- Family child care providers and child care in-home providers
- Relatives, neighbors, and friends who care for children
- Nannies and in-home providers
- Anyone who works with children and is responsible for their education and care
If you would like to show appreciation and recognition, here are some ideas:
- Send flowers, cards, or a handwritten note of appreciation
- Join other parents to create a surprise or purchase a gift
- Have children work on art projects to be given as a gift
- Donate classroom supplies, books, toys, and/or gift cards